Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Helen Tremlett is the recipient of the 2019 UBC Department of Medicine Hoffman Award for Research Excellence
- Julie Robillard is the recipient of the 2019 P2P Award of the BC SUPPORT and the Dr. Andrew Eisen Leadership Development Award from the ALS Society of BC
- Chris Uy is the recipient of the Friedman Award for Scholars in Health, UBC
- Jason Randhawa is the recipient of the AAN Neurologist- In- Training Clinical Ethics Elective (NITCEE) award
- Thalia Field promoted to Associate Professor effective July 1, 2019
Welcome New Faculty Members 2019-2020
- Virender Bhan – Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-F) – July 2019
- Janka Hegedus – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – May 2019
- Elaine Book – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) May 2019
- Alice Schabas – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – April 2019
- Katherine Beadon- Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – March 2019
- Mahyar Etminan – Associate Member – March 2019
- Nikkie Randhawa – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – February 2019
- Anish Kanungo – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-F) – January 2019
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party – 8th
Naveen Deshpande Lectureship – 16th
Western Canada Stroke Conference
Neurology Annual Retreat
Resident Ski Day
AAN RITE Exam for R3s-R5s
Stanley Hashimoto Memorial Lectureship
American Academy of Neurology Meeting
Annual Resident Research Day – 17th
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
8:00 to 10:00 (Wednesday), Auditorium, Cordula and Gunter Paetzold Health Education Centre, Vancouver General Hospital
Carotid Web and Acute Ischemic Stroke
by Dr. Dominic Tse
by Dr. Damon Li
Audience Response in Medical Education: What Do You Think?
by Dr. Tychicus Chen
by Dr. Marianne Schwarz
Does Simultaneous EEG-fMRI Improves Pre-Surgical Work-Up in Inadequately Localized Focal Epilepsy?
by Dr. François Dubeau
Neurological Manifestations of Waldenstrom’s Macroglobulinemia
by Dr. Danielle Murray