Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Doctoral Exams Chairs in 2019: Dr. Silke Cresswell, Dr. Doris Doudet, Dr. July Illes, Dr. Lorne Kastrukoff
- Dr. Robin Hsiung awarded the CIHR Project Grant for Fall 2019
- Dr. Thalia Field awarded VCHRI and the BC Support Unit of the 2020 Excellence in Patient-Oriented Research
- Dr. Julie Robillard awarded both the AARG (Research Grant Alzheimer’s Association) and the AGE-WELL Core Research Program grants
- Dr. Martin McKeown was awarded funding for a Collaborative Health Research Project (CHRP) with Dr. Jane Wang (Faculty of Applied Science) from CIHR. The project, Confidential automatic monitoring, examination, and recognition of disease activity (CAMERA): Application to Parkinson and Alzheimer diseases, was funded under the CHRP program.
- Dr. Helen Tremlett and Dr. Jacquie Quandt both received operating grants from the MS Society of Canada.
- Dr. Jon Stoessl – Graydon S. Meneilly Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
- Dr. Ana-Luiza Sayao – Undergraduate Inpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Dr. Laura Wilson – Undergraduate Outpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Dr. Shannon Kolind promoted to Associate Professor effective July 1, 2020
Welcome New Faculty Members 2020-2021
- Dr. Dominic Tse – Rank TBA (VFMP- V) – May 2020
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party -CANCELLED
Naveen Deshpande Lectureship -CANCELLED
Resident and staff virtual welcome-17th
Western Canada Stroke Conference- CANCELLED
Neurology Annual Retreat
Resident Ski Day
AAN RITE Exam for R3s-R5s
Stanley Hashimoto Memorial Lectureship
American Academy of Neurology Meeting-
Annual Resident Research Day
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
8:00 to 9:30 (Wednesday) via Zoom
Title: Emerging pan-Canadian Initiatives in the Neurological Sciences
Presenters: Dr. Judy Illes and Dr. Yves de Koninck
Title: Life and Death on the Neurology Wards of Tanzania
Presenter: Dr. Kimia Ghavami
Presenter: Dr. Chantelle Hrazdil
Presenter: Dr. Alyson Plecash
Title:Updates in acute migraine therapeutics- a new era?
Presenter: Dr. Joshua Lai
Presenter: Dr. John Gorman
Presenter: Dr. Priya Dhawan
Title: An unforgettable case with an unexpected outcome
Presenter: Dr. Jason Randhawa