Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Dr. Kristine Chapman was appointed as Head of Division of Neurology at Providence Health Care, effective July 1, 2021.
- Dr. Martin McKeown is the recipient of NIH grant of $275,000 (US) for project Measurement of Neuroexcitation during Bladder Filling: A Novel Metric for Overactive Bladder Phenotyping Co PI with Stothers.
- Dr. Shannon Kolind and Anthony Traboulsee are the recipients of the CIHR Spring 2021 Project Competition.
- Dr. Doris Doudet and Robin Hsiung were reappointed as Clinical Research Ethics Board members.
- Dr. Chantelle Hrazdil co-supervised a resident (Jason Randhawa) with Judy Illes on triaging admissions to epilepsy units – this is being published in JMed Ethics and is receiving publicity in numerous other venues
- Dr. Jeff Beckman as Clinical Professor Emeritus, effective January 1, 2022
- Dr. Judy Illes received the 2022 Italian Society for Neuroethics (SINe) Award in May
- Yvonne Ng received the DoM staff award for staff excellence
- Dr. Bruce Miller as distinguished speaker from UCSF
- Dr. Kristine Chapman promoted to Clinical Professor (VFMP-V) effective July 1, 2021
- Dr. Galina Vorobeychik promoted to Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-F) effective July 1, 2021
- Dr. Hannah Briemberg promoted to Clinical Professor (VFMP-V) effective July 1, 2021
- Dr. Tychicus Chen to promoted Clinical Assistant Professor effective July 1, 2022
Welcome New Faculty Members
- Dr. Keiran Tuck – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – July 1, 2021
- Dr. Christopher Uy – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – August 1, 2021
- Dr. Helen Cross – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – August 1, 2021
- Dr. Ilker Hacihaliloglu – Assistant Professor, tenure track with Department of Radiology (home) – September 1, 2021
- Dr. Laura Baxter – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – September 1, 2021
- Dr. Andrew Mattar – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – October 1, 2021
- Dr. Alexander Arnold – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-F) – December 1, 2021
- Dr. Rebecca Harrison – Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-V) – December 1, 2021
- Dr. Nicole Ng appointed as Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – February 2022
- Dr. Vincci Ngan appointed as Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – July 2022
- Dr. Lily Zhou appointed as Academic Assistant Professor (tenure-track) – August 2022
12th Annual Resident Research Day (June 15th, 2022)
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting (Montreal)
Resident Whistler Retreat
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party
Western Canada Stroke Conference
OSCE Exam 2022
Neurology Annual Retreat – TBA
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
Wednesdays from 8:00 AM to 8:50 AM + 9:00 AM to 9:45 AM, hybrid attendance in-person and Zoom
Nov 30, 2022
Presenter: Dr. Samuel Yip, MD, FRCPC
Title: Unresolved Questions on Anticoagulation in Stroke Management
Presenter: Dr. Hessah Alhashash, PGY4 Adult Neurology
Title: Rasmussen Encephalitis
Dec 7, 2022
Presenter: Dr. James Dowling, MD, PhD
Presenter: Resident, Pediatric Neurology
Dec 14, 2022
Presenter: Dr. Christopher Fox, MD, FRCPC
Presenter: Dr. Lia Mesbah-Oskui, PGY3 Adult Neurology
Title: When Checking Yourself Actually Wrecks Yourself: an Overview of Neurologic irAEs with ICIs
Dec 21, 2022
NSGR cancelled. Happy Holidays!
Dec 28, 2022
NSGR cancelled. Happy Holidays!
Jan 4, 2023
Presenter: Dr. Marco Marangoni, MD
Title: Dural AV Fistulas in 3D: Diagnosis, Drainage & Disconnection
Presenter: Dr. Meshari Alsaeed, PGY3 Adult Neurology