Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Thalia Field is the recipient of CIHR 2019 Innovation and Translational Research Award and awarded CIHR spring research project funding
- Dr. Doris Doudet and Dr. Julie Robillard are recommended the Outstanding Academic Performance (OAP) of Department of Medicine for 2018. OAP is awarded annually to faculty members after a department peer-reviewed process, in recognition of academic achievements performed over the past year.
- Helen Tremlett is the recipient of the 2019 UBC Department of Medicine Hoffman Award for Research Excellence
- Thalia Field promoted to Associate Professor effective July 1, 2019
Welcome New Faculty Members 2019-2020
- Mohammad Salem Alhalabi – Clinical Instructor (NMP) – December 2019
- Melissa Mackenzie – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – November 2019
- Clark Funnell – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – September 2019
- Jennifer Percy – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – July 2019
- Virender Bhan – Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-F) – July 2019
Neurology Annual Retreat – 31st
CaRMS Interview – 22nd
Resident Ski Day
AAN RITE Exam for R3s-R5s -15th
Stanley Hashimoto Memorial Lectureship – 19th
American Academy of Neurology Meeting
Annual Resident Research Day -17th
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting-10th
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party
Naveen Deshpande Lectureship
Western Canada Stroke Conference
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
8:00 to 10:00 (Wednesday), Auditorium, Cordula and Gunter Paetzold Health Education Centre, Vancouver General Hospital
Neurostimulation in Medically-Refractory Epilepsy
by Dr. Jennifer Percy
Doctor, I Am Dizzy
by Dr. Amokrane Chebini
Challenging Neurosurgical Dogma: Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, and a New Disease
by Dr. Christopher R. Honey
TB or Not TB
by Dr. Diya Shi
The Changing Landscape of Chronic Migraine Management in Canada
by Dr. Sian Spacey
An Ethical Approach to Epilepsy Monitoring Unit Triage
by Dr. Jason Randhawa
by Dr. Dewi Schrader
by Dr. Paul Webb
*Please note we will be switching over to online evaluations as from February 2020*