Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Dr. Julie Robillard awarded both the AARG (Research Grant Alzheimer’s Association) and the AGE-WELL Core Research Program grants
- Dr. Martin McKeown was awarded funding for a Collaborative Health Research Project (CHRP) with Dr. Jane Wang (Faculty of Applied Science) from CIHR. The project, Confidential automatic monitoring, examination, and recognition of disease activity (CAMERA): Application to Parkinson and Alzheimer diseases, was funded under the CHRP program.
- Dr. Helen Tremlett and Dr. Jacquie Quandt both received operating grants from the MS Society of Canada.
- Dr. Ana-Luiza Sayao – Undergraduate Inpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Dr. Laura Wilson – Undergraduate Outpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Drs. Haakon Nygaard and Thalia Field for participation as Panel Member of the Clinical 2020 Research Trainee competition, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research.
- Dr. Yu Tian Wang, appointment as Dean, School of Life and Health Sciences, University of Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy Sciences as from October 1.
- Dr. Jason Barton reappointed as Tier I CRC.
- Dr. Martin McKeown has been awarded a CIHR 2020 Fall Project grant
- Dr. Julie Robillard, Researcher Co-Lead & team have been awarded a MSFHR C2
Award for 2020.
- Dr. Kristine Chapman was appointed as Head of Division of Neurology at Providence Health Care, effective July 1, 2021.
- Dr. Martin McKeown is the recipient of NIH grant of $275,000 (US) for project Measurement of Neuroexcitation during Bladder Filling: A Novel Metric for Overactive Bladder Phenotyping Co PI with Stothers.
- Dr. Shannon Kolind and Anthony Traboulsee are the recipients of the CIHR Spring 2021 Project Competition.
- Dr. Doris Doudet and Robin Hsiung were reappointed as Clinical Research Ethics Board members.
- Dr. Chantelle Hrazdil co-supervised a resident (Jason Randhawa) with Judy Illes on triaging admissions to epilepsy units – this is being published in JMed Ethics and is receiving publicity in numerous other venues
- Dr. Jeff Beckman as Clinical Professor Emeritus , effective January 1, 2022
- Dr. Shannon Kolind promoted to Associate Professor effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Robert Carruthers promoted to Clinical Associate Professor effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Jonathan Squires promoted to Clinical Assistant Professor effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Kristine Chapman promoted to Clinical Professor (VFMP-V) effective July 1, 2021
- Dr. Galina Vorobeychik promoted to Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-F) effective July 1, 2021
- Dr. Hannah Briemberg promoted to Clinical Professor (VFMP-V) effective July 1, 2021
Welcome New Faculty Members 2020-2021
- Dr. Joshua Lai – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – February 2020
- Dr. Daniel Fok – Clinical Assistant Professor (SMP) – April 2020
- Dr. Dominic Tse – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP- V) – September 2020
- Dr. Damon Li – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – October 2020
- Dr. Adam MacLellan – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – March 1, 2021
- Dr. Nadim Jiwa – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – May 1, 2021
- Dr. Jillian Chan – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – June 1, 2021
- Dr. Harinder Dhaliwal – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-F) – June 1, 2021
- Dr. Aleksandra Ivanovic – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – June 1, 2021
- Dr. Keiran Tuck – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – July 1, 2021
- Dr. Christopher Uy – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – August 1, 2021
- Dr. Helen Cross – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-V) – August 1, 2021
- Dr. Ilker Hacihaliloglu – Assistant Professor, tenure track with Department of Radiology (home) – September 1, 2021
- Dr. Laura Baxter – Clinical Assistant Professor (IMP) – September 1, 2021
- Dr. Andrew Mattar – Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V) – October 1, 2021
- Dr. Alexander Arnold – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP-F) – December 1, 2021
- Dr. Rebecca Harrison – Clinical Associate Professor (VFMP-V) – December 1, 2021
12th Annual Resident Research Day (June 15th, 2022)
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting
Resident Whistler Retreat
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party
Western Canada Stroke Conference
OSCE Exam 2022
Neurology Annual Retreat – TBA
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
Wednesdays from 8:00 to 9:30, sometimes 9:45, via Zoom
May 25, 2022
Presenter: Dr. Joseph Tham, MD, BMSc, FRCPC
Title: Rapid Acting Antidepressants: A look at ketamine and psychedelics
Presenter: Dr. Jeffrey Kenzie, Adult Neurology PGY2
Title: Clinical Manifestations and CNS involvement of Giant Cell Arteritis
June 1, 2022
Presenter: Dr. Ben Gibbard, MD, MA, MSc, FRCPC
Title: The Limits of Labels: Using Neuroethics to Reimagine Developmental Disorders
Presenter: Dr. Hessah Alhashash, Adult Neurology PGY3
Title: Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy-Related Inflammation (CAARI)
June 8, 2022
Presenter: Dr. Jonathon Gorman, MD, FRCPC, Adult Neurology Stroke Fellow
Title: Advances in Anticoagulation for Secondary Stroke Prevention
Presenter: Dr. Olivia Marais, Adult Neurology PGY3
June 15, 2022 – 12th Annual Resident Research Day
Donald W. Paty Lecture (9:10 AM – 10:00 AM)
Guest Speaker: Dr. Bruce L. Miller, MD, Behavioural Neurologist, A.W. and Mary Margaret Clausen Distinguished Professorship in Neurology at The University of California, San Francisco
Title: Advances in Frontotemporal Dementia from Diagnosis to Treatment
Neurology Resident Research Day 2022 Presentations: TBA
This is the end of Neuroscience Grand Rounds for the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
Please join us again for the 2022-2023 Academic Year when NSGR resumes in September 2022.