Welcome to the UBC Division of Neurology
The Division of Neurology is one of the largest divisions within the Department of Medicine, and spans many activities in clinical, research and educational spheres. The majority of these activities are conducted at Vancouver General Hospital, UBC Hospital, Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre, BC Children Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Djavad Mowafaghian Centre for Brain Health.
It is nationally and internationally recognized for its clinical and research programs in multiple sclerosis, neurodegenerative disorders including dementias, motor neuronal disease, Parkinson’s disease and stroke.
The Division of Neurology is consistently successful in obtaining peer reviewed grant funding from agencies in Canada and internationally. Divisional members make important contributions to both basic neuroscience and clinical neurological literature; generated more than 200 publications with research funding over $20M in recent year.
Clinically, the division provides province-wide tertiary and quaternary care for a variety of neurological disorders. The Division has clinical outreach to many communities around the province, including Kitimat, Queen Charlotte, Masset & Whitehorse and Yukon.
Faculty members are actively involved in teaching and supervising all levels of students and trainees from undergraduate to postgraduate students, clinical and research fellows. The Residency Training Program in Neurology is the one of the largest in the country.
- Dr. Thalia Field awarded VCHRI and the BC Support Unit of the 2020 Excellence in Patient-Oriented Research
- Dr. Julie Robillard awarded both the AARG (Research Grant Alzheimer’s Association) and the AGE-WELL Core Research Program grants
- Dr. Martin McKeown was awarded funding for a Collaborative Health Research Project (CHRP) with Dr. Jane Wang (Faculty of Applied Science) from CIHR. The project, Confidential automatic monitoring, examination, and recognition of disease activity (CAMERA): Application to Parkinson and Alzheimer diseases, was funded under the CHRP program.
- Dr. Helen Tremlett and Dr. Jacquie Quandt both received operating grants from the MS Society of Canada.
- Dr. Jon Stoessl – Graydon S. Meneilly Award for Excellence in Mentoring.
- Dr. Ana-Luiza Sayao – Undergraduate Inpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Dr. Laura Wilson – Undergraduate Outpatient Teaching Excellence Award
- Drs. Haakon Nygaard and Thalia Field for participation as Panel Member of the Clinical 2020 Research Trainee competition, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research.
- Dr. Yu Tian Wang, appointment as Dean, School of Life and Health Sciences, University of Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy Sciences as from October 1.
- Dr. Jason Barton reappointed as Tier I CRC.
- Dr. Shannon Kolind as recipient of 2020 FOM Distinguished Achievement Award for Excellence in Basic Science Research.
- Dr. Thalia Field being nominated for the 37th Annual Women Distinction Award of YWCA in Vancouver.
- Thalia Field awarded the Sauder Family and Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC & Yukon Professorship in Clinical Stroke Research effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Shannon Kolind promoted to Associate Professor effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Robert Carruthers promoted to Clinical Associate Professor effective July 1, 2020
- Dr. Jonathan Squires promoted to Clinical Assistant Professor effective July 1, 2020
Welcome New Faculty Members 2020-2021
- Dr. Joshua Lai- Clinical Instructor (VFMP-V)- February 2020
- Dr. Daniel Fok- Clinical Assistant Professor (SMP)- April 2020
- Dr. Dominic Tse – Clinical Assistant Professor (VFMP- V) – September 2020
Resident Ski Day -CANCELLED
AAN RITE Exam for R3s-R5s -8th-19th
Stanley Hashimoto Memorial Lectureship -10th
CaRMS Interview -17th
American Academy of Neurology Meeting- 17-21
Annual Resident Research Day-9th
Canadian Neurological Science Federation Meeting-15th-18th
Annual Residents, Staff and Family Welcome Party
Naveen Deshpande Lectureship
Western Canada Stroke Conference
Neurology Annual Retreat
Upcoming NSGR Presentation
8:00 to 9:30 (Wednesday) via Zoom
Title: Vision therapy: the utility of eye movement exercises for mild traumatic brain injury
Presenters: Dr. Jason Barton
Title: Gastrointestinal system and neurological system
Presenter: Dr. Amokrane Chebini
Stanley Hashimoto lecture
Title: Reconciling Brain and Mind: How Functional Motor Disorders are “Organic”
Presenter: Dr. Francesca Morgante
Title: Multiple Sclerosis Diagnosis, Differential Diagnosis, and Misdiagnosis – Past and Present
Presenter: Dr. Andrew J. Solomon
Title: Genetics of Stroke: An Overview of Monogenic Causes of Stroke
Presenter: Dr. Sina Marzoughi
Presenter: Dr. James Sorenson
Title: Strokes, Seizures and Deafness: When Mitochondrial Genetics Get Lost in Translation
Presenter: Dr. Leslie Scarffe